The International Outreach Program (IOP) of St. Joseph’s Health System is a registered Canadian charity that partners with hospitals and medical schools in developing countries to provide training in current medical and nursing techniques.
We send teams of medical professionals from Canada to our partner countries for weeks or months at a time. And we bring medical students and doctors from these same countries to Canada for residencies and clinical fellowships at teaching hospitals in Canada.
We focus on partnerships and solutions that host countries can sustain. The projects we work on complement work already underway. Our teams include doctors and nurses, bio-medical engineers, and lay people.
The International Outreach Program has been bringing good intentions to life around the world since 1986. Before 2010, we were funded entirely by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton. In 2010, we became registered as a Canadian charity. We now receive our funding entirely from individuals, foundations, corporations, service organizations and government grants. Learn more about our history.
The International Outreach Program is grounded in the Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton’s healing mission to promote the dignity of all persons, especially the poor and marginalized. We serve wherever we are needed and acknowledge the risks involved. While our mission is rooted in the Roman Catholic tradition, we work to make the world a better place for people of all faiths.
- Partnership with Georgetown Public Hospital and Doobay Medical Clinic
- Focused on capacity building in the area of chronic kidney disease management through the provision of a training program in nephrology
- Partnership with Centre Medical Beraca Hospital in La Pointe, Haiti
- Focused on capacity building and knowledge transfer through exchange programs, training and education, and some infrastructure support
- Partnership with four medical schools across the country
- Focused on capacity building through the provision of an exchange program with the McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences
Your gift to the International Outreach Program of St. Joseph’s Health System provides life-saving medical training in areas of the world where medical resources are low. Please give generously now.