The International Outreach Program partners with four medical schools across the country. We are focused on capacity building through an exchange program with the McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences.
We work with:
- Makerere University and Mulago Hospital, Kampala
- Mbarara University and Mbarara Hospital, Mbarara (in the southwest)
- Gulu University & Gulu Hospital, Gulu (in the north)
- Busitema University and Busitema Hospital, Mbale (in the east)
The healthcare system in Uganda is underfunded. Maternal mortality rates are high. We are witnessing a rise in non-communicable diseases. There is a lack of specialty medical training, a lack of advanced nurse training, and a lack of biomedical engineering support.
Our partnerships involve exchanges for medical residents and clinical fellows, who come to Canada for training. We are focused on sub-specialty training as identified by our Ugandan partners. We are also delivering training in faculty development, nursing, biomedical engineering, and research.
Thanks to the generous support of our donors:
- Over 95 Ugandans have received medical training in Canada
- 98% of these alumni are still practicing medicine in Uganda
- 75% of sub-specialties at one site in Uganda are led by our alumni
- 60% of alumni are in positions of leadership
- Clinical outcomes in sub-specialties are improving, particularly in obstetrics, anesthesia, medicine, nephrology and psychiatry
Your gift to the International Outreach Program of St. Joseph’s Health System provides life-saving medical training in Uganda and other areas of the world where medical resources are low. Please give generously now.